The Master's Programme in Sociology (MSc in Sociology) will prepare you for PhD studies in Sociology as well as for advanced professional work in sociological inquiries and community planning.
It will provide you with both the knowledge and the practical skills needed to work in a broad range of fields including governmental, non-governmental and the private sector.
You will be prepared for a future career as a policy maker, a leader or a practitioner working in government agencies, private companies or NGOs. Furthermore, the programme will provide you with knowledge and skills to adapt to a changing working life and ability to contribute to development in society and working life.
The programme will enable you to develop critical thinking, analytical skills and ability to conduct societal analysis, as well as to acquire specialised knowledge of sociology. On completion of the programme, you will be awarded a degree of Master of Science (120 credits) specialising in Sociology.
The programme allows considerable freedom to select courses according to interest and future needs.
The language of instruction is English, which means that lectures and seminars are given in English, examination are in English, and student essays and papers are written in English. The master's thesis can be written in English or a Scandinavian language.
Broad and specialised knowledge of sociology
As a student in the programme you will acquire:
- knowledge and understanding in sociology, including both broad knowledge of the field and a considerable degree of specialised knowledge in certain areas of the field as well as specialised insight into current research and development work.
- specialised knowledge of research methods in sociology.
- the ability to critically and systematically integrate knowledge, and analyse, assess and deal with complex phenomena, issues and situations, even with limited information.
- the ability to identify and formulate research questions critically, autonomously and creatively as well as to plan and, using appropriate methods, undertake advanced tasks within predetermined time frames and so contribute to the formation of knowledge as well as the ability to evaluate this work.
- the skills required for participation in research and development work or autonomous employment in some other qualified capacity.
The programme provides you with both the background knowledge and the practical skills needed to work in a broad range of fields including governmental, non-governmental and the private sector.
You will be prepared for a future career as a policy maker, a leader or a practitioner working in government agencies, private companies or NGOs, or alternatively, for doctoral studies and a continued academic career.
Read more about the content and the Structure of the programme
Admission & application
Please see the page Entry requirements and how to apply