The Master of Science in Social Anthropology SASAN
The Master of Science in Social Anthropology will provide you with a strongly research-based Master’s degree. The programme combines deep subject knowledge with broadened perspectives and links with wider society. The MSc in Social Anthropology applies deep and broad perspectives to an understanding of social communities and culture as a coherent whole.
The programme provides specialisation in the scholarly approach that is fundamental for students aiming to pursue PhD studies but which is also of considerable value for advanced work as a policy or operational officer in organisations and activities at different levels.
Furthermore, the programme will provide you with broadened theoretical perspectives, expanded knowledge of qualitative methodology, skills to adapt to a changing working life and the ability to contribute to development in society and working life.
Broad and specialised knowledge of social anthropology
As a student in the programme you will acquire:
- knowledge and understanding in social anthropology, including both broad knowledge of the field and a considerable degree of specialised knowledge in certain areas of the field as well as specialised insight into current research and development work
- specialised knowledge of research methods in social anthropology
- the ability to critically and systematically integrate knowledge, and analyse, assess and deal with complex phenomena, issues and situations, even with limited information
- the ability to identify and formulate research questions critically, autonomously and creatively as well as to plan and, using appropriate methods, undertake advanced tasks within predetermined time frames and so contribute to the formation of knowledge as well as the ability to evaluate this work
- the skills required for participation in research and development work or autonomous employment in some other qualified capacity
The programme provides you with both the background knowledge and the practical skills needed to work in a broad range of fields including governmental, non-governmental and the private sector.
You will be prepared for a future career as a policy maker, a leader or a practitioner working in government agencies, private companies or NGOs, or alternatively, for doctoral studies and a continued academic career.
Read more about the content and the Structure of the programme
Admission & application
Please see the page Entry requirements and how to apply