Swedish Social Policy
Undergraduate course. 7,5 credits. Sociology. Autumn/Spring.
SASA22 Swedish Social Policy, 7,5 credits
Please note: This course will be given for the last time Spring 2022.
A course for exchange students only.
In the course some key social institutions that together have come to be called the "Swedish" or "Scandinavian" Model are presented. The course will present the historical development of the Swedish welfare state, both in relation to institutional changes and to the political project of the welfare state.
It departs from an analytical and historical perspective where the internal contradictions and impetus for change of the Swedish Model are central. The course will therefore include recent developments such as the possible dismantling of the Swedish welfare state and emergence of a new welfare model. The emergence of social rights and social citizenship will be included in this section.
The course will discuss welfare state policies directed towards the family, which includes a gender perspective in which feminist critique of the welfare state is introduced. The course will also discuss the particularities and the development of the Swedish Model on labour market and labour relations, reviewing different theoretical perspectives on the triad state, capital and labour.
Schedule, literature and syllabus
- Use your course code to search for your schedule in TimeEdit.
- Find the course's literature list and syllabus here
Learning platform and information
Our courses and programmes are connected to the learning platform Canvas, where teachers and students communicate with each other and upload information.
Please contact the International office
E-mail: incoming [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se
Find your building in the area "Paradiset"
- House/Hus G The Department of Sociology
- House/Hus H Eden, The Department of Political Science
- House/Hus M The Sociology of Law Department and The Department of Gender Studies
- House/Hus P The Department of Psychology
- House/Hus R Gamla Kirurgen, The Faculty of Social Sciences and Graduate School
- SAMBIB The Social Sciences Faculty Library
- Palaestra et Odeum Address: Paradisgatan 4, Lund
What does "hus" mean?
Hus is Swedish for House. And "rum" means "room". Look for these words on your schedule to find your way to class!