Swedish Sociological Association Conference 2018
Sociologidagarna is the Swedish Sociological Association Conference, organized every second year and gathering sociologists from all over – and increasingly outside of – Sweden.
At Sociologidagarna, on-going research is presented in thematic working group sessions, current topics are discussed by expert panels in semi-plenaries, and international key-note speakers give lectures on the conference theme.
Sociologidagarna 2018 is hosted by the Department of Sociology at Lund University, and the conference theme is Sociology in a Polarized world.
Welcome to join us!
Open to the public
Seven semi-plenaries during "Sociologi-dagarna 2018" are open to the public on Thursday 8th and Friday 9th between 11:15 - 12:15
Thursday 8 March:
1. Is Gender Controversial (Once Again)? - Room Palaestra Organizer: Åsa Lundqvist of Lund University Rebecca Selberg, Lund University Ann-Zofie Duvander, Stockholm University Elena Zdravomyslova, European University at St. Petersburg
2. Interrogating the European Solidarity Crisis: Migration, Repression and Resistance - Room R236 Organizer: Maja Sager of Lund University Ulrika Wernesjö, Linköping University Norma Montesino, Lund University Vanessa Barker, Stockholm University
3. In today’s European societies, do Social Movements increase polarization? And is it bad if they do? - Room G109 Organizer: Chares Demetriou of Lund University Chares Demetriou, Lund University Håkan Thörn, University of Gothenburg Åsa Wettergren, University of Gothenburg Preliminary scientific program
4. Nordic Economic Elites - Room G133 Organizer: Mikael Holmqvist of Stockholm Business School Hanna Kuusela, University of Tampere Anu Kantola, University of Helsinki Trygve Gulbrandsen, The Institute for Social Research Christoph Houman Ellersgaard, Copenhagen Business School Anton Grau Larsen, Copenhagen Business School
Friday 9 March:
1. Understanding the Political Landscape: Political Sociology and the Swedish Election 2018 - Room Palaestra Organizer: Gabriella Elgenius University of Gothenburg & Magnus, Wennerhag Södertörn University
2. Sociologi på gymnasiet: Utmaningar och möjligheter - Room G109 Organizers: Sveriges Sociologförbund, Glenn Sjöstrand Contributors: Johan Fagerberg, Josef Dahlberg, Henrik Larsson
3. Book Launch: Vit migration: Kön, vithet och privilegier i transnationella migrationsprocesser - Room R236 Catrin Lundström 4. Book Launch: Sverige och filosoferna. Svensk 1900-talsfilosofi i sociologisk belysning - Room G133 Carl-Göran Heidegren, Henrik Lundberg, Klas Gustavsson Commenator: Sverre Wide
The recent rise of populist movements and social upheavals have challenged the liberal consensus and power blocs that have shaped the last decades in many societies.
These contenders may also unleash social forces imbued with xenophobia and anti-democratic sentiments.
Sociology occupies a central position in relation to these processes.
Sociology possesses tools capable of analyzing the complex manifestations of social differences and hierarchies. At the same time, sociologists have been the champions, at least in lecture halls, of precisely the aspects of cosmopolitan and tolerant open society that have been threatened.
Yet sociologists have sometimes been reluctant to participate in public discourse, and those who do publicly engage often find their voices sidelined.
The discipline has tools able to address the problem of growing polarizations, and its 'voice' in public debates is critical in this changing social landscape.
This conference invites sociologists to take part in a criticalexamination of the current polarizing conditions – to include their empirical validity and their intersectionality – as well as in a reassessment of sociology's contributions to the public debate.
The conference will take place at different locations at the University area in Lund.(G-huset, M-huset, R-huset and Palaestra) Please visit Sociologidagarna or Programme for updated information, abstracts and the exact location of the the Semi-Plenary Sessions.
Organizing Committee, Sociologidagarna 2018
- Sara Eldén
- Christopher Swader
- Christofer Edling
- Lisa Eklund
- Anders Hylmö
- Katarina Jacobsson
- Britt-Marie Johansson
- Åsa Lundqvist
- Agneta Mallén